Passionate Fashion Designer/Bartender/Adventurer & Backpacker
The innovation project is in progress and I have taken up a new challenge.
So far during my education I have practiced tailoring patterns from a person’s measurements using notes and starting from a white page and copying patterns from catwalks. During my studies at NTU I have learned that you can use standard pattern blocks, but for this innovation project I wanted to challenge myself. So, I stared my pattern by taking apart my own old leather jacket. But I’m doing a menswear project so after tracing down my pattern I needed to scale it up and adopt it to a man’s body.
I usually get my designs down within 2-4 toiles but for this project did at least 8 full toiles for my jacket with all the different ways of topstitching that I could use. I felt like I got down the design as I wanted to. But during the final garment manufacturing I realised that I should have tried my garment in a fake leather material but I hate doing toils in such unsustainable fabric as it harms the environment and my wallet. It is always hard for me to waste calico, to create unnecessary waste, therefore I always try to minimise my calico usage and upcycle my old garments if they are big enough to get some of the pattern pieces out of them. I have this huge bag of spare calico that I use for my detail toiling.